About Virginia National Ballet
Virginia National Ballet!
Founded in 2013 by the husband and wife team of Rafik Hegab (Artistic Director) and Elysabeth Muscat (Managing Director), VNB is home to both an outstanding professional ballet company and an excellent school. We’re proud to have been voted “Best Dance Studio in Northern Virginia” by Northern Virginia Magazine, and to be a leading dance organization in Northern Virginia. VNB is an Arts Partner of the Hylton Performing Arts Center where we present four full length productions annually, a member of the Virginia Commission for the Arts Tour Directory (one of only a handful of dance companies in the whole State), and a member of the Prince William County Arts Council. Artistic Director Rafik Hegab won the 2019 Seefeldt Award for “Outstanding Individual Artist” for his beautiful and innovative choreography, and the company has been nominated for Outstanding Arts Organization each year since 2016.
VNB was based in Gainesville for 5 years and then relocated to a beautiful new, 5400 square foot facility in Manassas/Bristow with three large, bright studios and a music studio in April 2018. The nonprofit professional company has grown from 4 dancers to 14 professional dancers and has been recognized as an outstanding professional company in the DelMarVa region. VNB School offers dance classes for students of all ages and abilities with our outstanding dance faculty, as well as private voice and piano lessons with Managing Director Elysabeth Muscat, who was on the faculty at the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University for 15 years and was a former international opera singer. Online classes are available as well classes in the studio!
Students have the wonderful opportunity to perform at the Hylton Performing Arts Center in the annual Nutcracker productions and the Spring Recital. Additionally, select students may audition to perform in some of Virginia National Ballet’s company productions. Advanced pre-professional students can audition for the Junior Company. All students have the benefit of studying in a vibrant atmosphere with an immensely talented group of outstanding, international professional dancers and teachers who are also caring and nurturing.
VNB has invited famous guest artists to dance in productions and give master classes. Artists who have graced our stage include Daniil Simkin, Isabella Boylston, James Whiteside (all Principal Dancers with American Ballet Theater); Ashley Bouder, Teresa Reichlen, and Ask la Cour (all NYC Ballet Principal Dancers), Aaron Smyth (Royal Ballet, Joffrey Ballet), Aria Alekzander (Houston Ballet, America’s Got Talent), Nour Eldesouki (Munich, Dresden, Essen and Cairo Ballets), Carolina Boscán (Essen, Leipzig Ballets), and more. The world premieres of Rafik Hegab’s Aida, Aladdin, Bohemian Rhapsody, Bolero, Carmina Burana, Carmen, Cinderella, Collection, La Boheme, Life in the Fast Lane, and Snow White received rave reviews, and the annual Nutcracker performances are a holiday favorite in Northern Virginia.
With the excellent administration, faculty, facility, education, performances, and smoothly run, family atmosphere, Virginia National Ballet is a wonderful place to immerse yourself in the arts!
In a nutshell:
- Award Winning Organization
- Beautiful new facility housing three large dance studios with sprung marley floors
- Outstanding instruction by international faculty with degrees in dance and professional performance experience
- Friendly and supportive atmosphere
- Online Dance Classes available
- Russian Vaganova Ballet Syllabus
- Small classes with emphasis on technique and artistry
- Students are showcased in leading roles in performances at The Hylton Performing Arts Center
- Dance classes including ballet, variations, contemporary, lyrical, acro, character, jazz, jazz/tap, hip hop, combination classes
- Voice and Piano Lessons in our music studio
- Classes offered for all ages, from 2.5 to Adult
- YAGP participation for serious students (Youth America Grand Prix Competition)
- Annual Nutcracker and Spring Recital
- Professional Dance Company
- Giving back to the community through donations and outreach